Legal Statements or Documents are very important to have on any website and this is a question I’m often asked when I meet with new clients or those who I consult with.
Should every blogger or small business owner have a Terms & Conditions link on their website?
In my opinion, yes. These are protections for you and your visitors. One I highly recommend is:
Terms & Conditions of Use
The benefits of Having Terms and Conditions are as follows:
- you are establishing the rules for everyone who visits or uses your website;
- you can retain control of your website by specifying what types of content people may post (e.g. someone may not post graphic or violent content);
- you can use the Terms and Conditions to inform others of the fact that you own everything on the website and that no one may take your work without your permission;
- having Terms and Conditions increases transparency between you and your customers and thus improves customer relationships.
What important information should be included in a Terms & Conditions? And is there a certain length we should be concerned about?
Terms and Conditions and other contracts are not about length per se. You can write something in one sentence, or you can write an entire paragraph that states essentially the same thing. Here are the most important sections that should be included in the Terms and Conditions:
- availability, errors and inaccuracies;
- links to third party websites;
- changes to Terms and Conditions;
- intellectual property;
- dispute resolution
Complaints or Feedback Pages
Patents, Trademarks, and Other Corporate Policies
You can read more about this on Lifewire.
It is important to note that this list is not exhaustive and you may need additional sections depending on your business. As always, I recommend my client’s consult with their attorney. If you would like to learn how you can afford an attorney, Contact Me. Every business owner should have an attorney.
One thing that has always helped me as a business owner my 40+ year paralegal background.
My goal at Diva Business Solutions is to ensure you get your business set-up correctly from the start to avoid any issues down the road.